Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Fragile, Part VI: Remarriage?

Ok, I have had several conversations in the last few days with people very close to me about a very sensitive topic in relationships and the church, and I'm more confused now than when I began. The topic is remarriage after divorce. Easy stuff, right? HAHA! I'm writing this blog to solicit opinions from you, my friends and readers.

What does the bible really say about this topic? How do you interpret it? What I have read seems to put me in the clear, but in order to fully disseminate the arguments, one would have to fully understand the finer points behind my divorce, and I don't feel that a public forum is the place for revealing all of that. That being said, what do all of you think, in general terms, about this? I cannot imagine that I am required to either reconcile with my ex-wife or live a celibate life from here on in, which has been suggested by some.

There are other areas of this topic that are troubling me, as well. How soon is too soon to begin dating and considering a life with someone? The divorce care class suggests waiting at least five years to make sure that you are fully healed before beginning to date. Personally, I think thats a giant load of you-know-what. But many think this is the best route. I feel liberated at fully me for the first time in so many years I can't begin to explain it, but there are more than a few that think that I'm foolish to begin considering this in my life.

In addition, there is the issue of my children. Now granted, my divorce was only final a week ago, but I have been seperated for 15 of the last 19 months, and my kids know nothing of the legal battle. They only know that Daddy hasn't lived in the same house as Mommy for over a year and a half, with the exception of a four month period when we tried to live together again. I don't think that they will be harmed by my dating, but a few are telling me that I'm kidding myself.

I'm really confused by the amount of rancor that this is causing in my life. I really didn't expect such a reaction to my dating. Please give me your thoughts, and in a quiet moment, please give me your prayers. I'm so ready to begin to rebuild my life, and when that person comes into my life, I don't want to be unwilling to let her in. As I said in a previous blog, I don't need a woman to find self-worth. I do, however, want to share my life with someone I love. I don't believe that to be in any way co-dependant. Some do. Help me out here. Thoughts?


Currently Listening :
Sixpence None The Richer
By Sixpence None The Richer
Release date: By 10 February, 1998

No comments: