Monday, November 06, 2006

Gateway Worship. Originally posted October 10, 2006

I have just received some exciting news! As many of you know, I have been in a dry season as far as playing. That has been very difficult for me, because playing bass is my passion! Since my friends Barry and Michelle Patterson loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly - I mean Colorado - I haven't played much. I had the honor of playing for what I now consider my home church in McGregor, TX (www.fumcmcgregor.com) for about a year and a half, but there was no drummer, so I missed the full-band. I enjoyed the intimacy of that congregation, though. I grew as a player there, too, because I had to be responsible for the rhythm without the aid of the drummer. Props to my myspace friends Kyle Paschall and Steve Heyduck, the worship leader and pastor, respectively, of that wonderful family down there.

The past year and a half I've had the chance to play a handful of times when either I would go to Colorado, or the Patterson's came to Ft. Worth, but outside of that? Nada. In a very significant way, it has been a good thing. Since I have played bass at worship almost weekly for over 15 years, I have never learned to be comfortable without a bass in my hand in worship. I have learned how to worship with my voice from within the congregation, which has been a wonderful experience! Also, with the events of the past eighteen months of my life causing so much personal anguish and brokenness, it didn't seem appropriate to be leading worship. Yet, I have longed to play again.

I felt a release about two months ago after a conversation with my friend (The Right Reverend) Brad Jackson. He told me, "James, regardless of your personal issues, you need to be among the fellowship of other musicians. We all have issues in our lives, but we still do what we do everyday. You are a player, and you need to be playing." I prayed about this for a few weeks, and decided that the time was right to audition to play for my church (www.gatewaypeople.com) and leave it in the Lord's hands. Right before the audition, my brother Timothy and my wonderful new sister-in-law Kristin prayed for me, and I felt the Holy Spirit in the room. The audition went very well. I had given it my best, and was at total peace. If they wanted me to be involved, I was willing. If they didn't? I was just fine to continue to worship the Lord from within the congregation. I've really come to enjoy it!

This morning, I received an email that stated I had been accepted into Gateway worship (www.gatewayworship.com) and would begin instrumentalist training THIS THURSDAY! It will continue until the end of the year. I am SO excited to begin this journey with talented musicians and singers that I respect so much. I am thrilled to be able to play regularly again, and to grow as a player. For the first time in my career, I will be held accountable for practice time. They will be assigning reading, classes, and other things to help me grow as a player, a person, and as a worshipper. I have never had this kind of support, and I cannot wait to begin!

No comments: