Monday, November 06, 2006

Phoenix. Originally Posted October 13, 2006

Ok. Whats the last thing you'd think about when you think of James Putnam. Or any Putnam, for that matter? Well besides the obvious drug dealer and pro-athlete answer! Giant Tattoo would certainly be on the list! So this blog is a means of explaination for the new piece of artwork on my back, which you can see below. There are more pictures in my "more pictures section..."



Wikipedia has the following article to describe the Phoenix:
In ancient Egyptian mythology and in myths derived from it, the phoenix or phœnix is a mythical sacred firebird.
Said to live for 500 or 1461 years (depending on the source), the phoenix is a bird with beautiful gold and red plumage. At the end of its life-cycle the phoenix builds itself a nest of cinnamon twigs that it then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises. The new phoenix embalms the ashes of the old phoenix in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis ("the city of the sun" in Greek). The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being almost immortal and invincible — a symbol of fire and divinity.
Although descriptions (and life-span) vary, the phoenix (Bennu bird) became popular in early Christian art, literature and Christian symbolism, as a symbol of Christ, and further, represented the resurrection, immortality, and the life-after-death of Jesus Christ.

I have been reborn, folks. I am alive again, up from the ashes. My life has been consumed in the fire, and is now new and young again. I feel like a kid again! I have renewed energy, happiness, and purpose! Jesus Christ has made me new. I have freedom from the rejection and fear that has kept me bound. Yes, there are days that are still hard, and I still struggle with these things, but the freedom is real! The struggle is temporary, and is replaced by victory! James Robison spoke at Gateway a few months back and said something that really has stuck with me. He said that when Jesus sets us free, he sets us free TO the battle, not FROM it. And He gives us the weapons with which to WIN!


So guess what, folks? I have new weapons! Jesus has taken me and has shown me true death. But He has also brought me new life. The old has passed away. That doesn't mean that I don't struggle, It means that when I struggle, I have an ally.


He is restoring what was taken from me. What is incredible about that is that I let much of it be taken by my own actions and irresponsibility! How infininite is His grace! How never-ending is His love! That which I squandered, He has restored!


I needed to make a stand - A stake in the ground, so to speak, to be an ever-present reminder of new life. It may strike some of you as odd - Lord knows my mother about lost it! But the tattoo is just that for me: A declaration of independence from the past, from the pain, and from the fear that has kept me bound. I no longer worry about the things others think of me, at least as the source of my approval. I have the approval of my Father in Heaven, and He accepts me unconditionally!


So this is my stand. This is my stake in the ground. Yesterday, October 12, 2006, is my day of birth. I am the Phoenix, up from the ashes. My new life has begun.

No comments: