Monday, November 06, 2006

Jim Terry. Originally posted August 13, 2006

It's amazing walking through my life in my mid-thirties. My life has taken turns I never expected, both good and bad. I am watching my children grow up. I have become something I never thought I'd be: An ex-husband. I am discovering a new and vital faith in the midst of personal failures that could have rendered faith meaningless to me.
All of these things and more have been somewhat surreal. But I just got a phone call that has left me numb yet again. I have been somewhat insulated from the effects of death for most of my life. I have made it to my mid-thirties without losing anyone I love. Now, some of these loved ones are beginning to pass away. I lost my Great-Grandmother earlier this year, but her passing was a celebration, as she lived a long life. I got a taste of the sting of untimely death last winter as a young mother I grew up with passed in a tragic accident. (see my blog post, Fragile) Now, a childhood hero and father-figure has been taken prematurely. Jim Terry was a man of immense stature to me. It was the same every year - Jim and Marlene stayed in the same room right next to my Mom and Dad in Ceta Lodge. Jim was the director, and my Dad was the storyteller. Most of my most precious memories are wrapped up around Elementary One-Way camp at Ceta Canyon, and as such, they are focused around Jim Terry and His family. His family IS my family. His daughter is a year older than me, and we grew up at summer camp together, from the time we were both far too young to be at camp. His son David was the big brother at camp, and was there to ease me into college life at Asbury when I came to visit. I cannot overstate this man's impact on my life. He stood at the front of the old tabernacle night after night, larger than life to me. He made it what it was. He and Marlene poured their very soul into that camp, and countless lives have been forever changed because of that ministry. Mine was just one of thousands.
Camp was last month, and for the first time in nearly 30 years, Mom and Dad stayed in their room at Ceta Lodge without Jim and Marlene next door. He was diagnosed with brain cancer not long ago, and it aggressively took his life in a short time. I know that He is with Jesus now, and the pain is gone for him. It is just beginning for the rest of us.
Farewell, Papa Bear. Godspeed. I love you.

No comments: